Sometimes I impress myself in the kitchen. And then I remember I went to culinary school so I better be impressing somebody (my husband doesn’t count because he’s too easy to win over in the kitchen). Making these melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter and honey chocolate chip cookies was one of those times.
When I’m inventing a new recipe the first couple of batches have a high probability of ending up in the trash. But I knew these cookies were meant to be since only my first batch need suffer that fate. That first batch was a tad dry (ok very dry), but I added coconut oil into the recipe and the second batch turned out decadently perfect. The coconut oil gave them that scrumptious buttery texture everyone loves.
Before I tell you these cookies are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, butter-less…and made with raw honey instead of refined sugar, you need to taste one. If only I could send you a gooey, flaky sample right out of the oven via my high-speed internet connection. Then you too would be a huge believer that homemade goodies baked with wholesome ingredients can be ridiculously good…when done right. There’s an art and science behind baking. Don’t think you can get away with swapping in apple sauce and call it good.
Unlike many gluten-free recipes that require three different kinds of flour, this recipe is super easy to master. Since only minimal ingredients are needed, you won’t be tempted to pick up a package of store-bought cookies instead of baking your own.
Tip: Invest in a small ice cream scooper. It’s the easiest way to make perfect little round cookies that don’t fall apart the second you try to remove them from the pan.
Recipe: Decadent Peanut Butter & Honey Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats (love Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ cup almond meal (aka almond flour)
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter (aka just ground peanuts, salt)
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (check the ingredient list if you’re strictly avoiding gluten, dairy and/or sugar)
- small ice cream scoop
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F / 180 C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or an awesome reusable silpat.
- Mix together the oats, almond meal and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Heat the peanut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low flame and stir until melted. Add in the honey and vanilla extract and stir until evenly combined.
- Remove from heat and pour liquids over dry ingredients. Stir to evenly coat the oat mixture.
- Chill batter in the fridge until cool then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form perfect cookie balls and place evenly spaced on the cookie sheet. Keep batter chilled while you’re working since coconut oil turns to liquid above room temperature.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes then use a spatula to remove from sheet.
Yield: 30 small cookies
I would love to hear how they turned out for you in the comments below!