Sweet. Spicy. Savory. Crunchy goodness. Last night, in between trying to figure out how to fit four months worth of essentials into one suitcase, I whipped up a batch of Sriracha-inspired roasted almonds. When I travel I need my healthy snacks. Airplane food just ain’t gonna cut it. My fiery almonds turned out so good that instead of watching Ice Age on the plane, or whatever this cartoon one foot from my face is, I’m sitting here recording my nutty invention for you.
As you know from my previous post on Sriracha 3-Bean and Veggie Soup, I’ve been on a spicy-food kick lately. Must be because it’s brrrrrr cold outside and peppery food always warms me up. (And because I was attempting to finish off my jar of handcrafted Sriracha sauce before moving back to the USA. Mission failed. Too spicy to polish off. But left behind in good hands.)
Back to the nuts. These easy-to-make, dressed-to-impress roasted almonds combine the best of all taste bud pleasers: sweet, salty and spicy. They’re perfect for travel munchies, perfect for snacking on while cooking dinner and they’d make a super Super Bowl treat. Oh, and they’re healthy!
Almonds deliver just the right amount of energy-boosting protein and healthy fat. A handful will curb your craving and hold you over until dinnertime. The nuts in this recipe are dry roasted. That means I add no unnecessary oils, just olive oil on the pan to prevent sticking.
And let’s not forget the fresh sage. It dresses them up, adds an unexpected savory twist and sneaks in a healthy boost. Long before science proved sage is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it was used by wise men (and women) to cure ailments. Get it? Sage = wise. It’s properties are known to boost brain activity! You’ll probably want to keep a bag of these almonds at your desk.
Fiery Almonds with Toasted Sage
- 500 g raw almonds (whole, skin on)
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha chili pepper sauce (depending on how brave you are)
- ¼ cup pure cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg white
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oven to 160 C/325 F. Lightly coat baking sheet with olive oil.
- Beat egg white with sugar in a large bowl. Mix in chopped sage, sea salt and Sriracha.
- Stir in the almonds.
- Spread in a single layer on the oiled baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven at 160 C/325 F for 15 minutes. Halfway through roasting remove pan from oven and use a spatula to flip almonds. Return to oven.
- Remove from oven and spread out on wax paper or plate to allow to cool completely.
Let me know how they turn out for you!