Guest Blogger: Todd Kopecky
I’ll admit it. When I was a boy I stole a piece of Halloween candy from my sister Elyse. But not just any piece of candy. It was a Reese’s, my favorite. I couldn’t resist. The year was 1993, I was seven, Snoop Dogg was charting, and my number one favorite food was chocolate; my number two, peanut butter, and, well, hell. Reese’s combines the two.
I looked left, I looked right, I walked into an empty bedroom. Waiting upon Elyse’s chin-high dresser, that Reese’s seemed to stretch, and stretch, the closer I got. And closer I did get. Until the Reese’s was as long as my forearm and I could make out its label. KING SIZE. 4 peanut butter cups to a package! I reached up, snatched that mother off Elyse’s dresser, tore it open, and gobbled it DOWN. No regrets. The screaming, the scolding, the clawing, the ten minutes of time-out that evening was worth it.
Now Elyse and I are all grown up and I’m a) no thief and b) eating healthier. My number one favorite snack food is now hummus; my number two now kale. Combine the two and, well, hell.
Here’s the recipe for this healthy snack (or at least how to find it):
- Click left of the little magnifying glass in the top right corner of this page.
- Type an H, a U, an M, an M, a U, an S.
- Hit ENTER. (Freshabits.com’s recipes are searchable!? Who knew!)
- Scroll down, and down a little more.
- Click the Happy Hummus recipe.
- Add 2 cups of cut and washed raw kale to the list of ingredients. Also add an additional 1 tbs of olive oil (or tahini for a creamier taste) and more salt, to taste.
- Follow the recipe.
- Voilà! Kale hummus!
Serve with toasted whole wheat pita bread triangles and carrot sticks.
“Lil’ bro” to Elyse and resident of Boulder, CO, Todd Kopecky is an aspiring novelist who often not only edits posts for Freshabits.com, but also draws inspiration from them. Elyse tells him he needs to get on Twitter, and he agrees. But until he does, he can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.